Skip to content
Do It Online   |  My Services   |  Planning   |  Council tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and roads   |  Housing

What to do if you think we are wrong

What to do

When you receive the letter telling you how much benefit we are going to pay, if you think the benefit is wrong, you can ask us to look at our decision again.

When you contact us you have a choice:

If you want to dispute the decision you can either ask us to look again at the decision, or appeal to an independent tribunal. This request must be made in writing, within a month of the date of the decision letter giving reasons why you think our decision is wrong.

If you ask us to look at the decision again or appeal against it, we will arrange for your claim to be looked at by a different officer in the our Benefits team. We will then send you a letter telling you if we are going to change the decision that we have made or if it will remain unchanged.

If you think one of the situations above has happened to you, please contact the benefits team.

Tribunals service

The Tribunals Service will decide on your appeal at a tribunal hearing. Tribunals usually have one legally qualified person to ensure that the law is correctly applied to your appeal. They are not from the Council.

The tribunal can only look at the evidence, the law and the circumstances at the time we made the decision you are appealing against. It is important that you give your reasons for your appeal because the tribunal does not have to look at anything you do not mention in your appeal.

Corporate complaints procedure

If you have any benefit matters, other than asking for your claim to be reviewed, that you are not able to resolve with the benefit team you can write to:

The Swale Arbitrator, Swale House, East Street, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 3HT.

A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z