Skip to content
Do It Online   |  My Services   |  Planning   |  Council tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and roads   |  Housing
Contact Planning Services

Types of application and fees

Related pages

Please note that from 5 March 2018, planning's public access system which allows you to search for planning applications online will be undergoing planned maintenance. For more information and further dates you can read our news article.

There are various types of building and land works, each requiring a different type of application to be made.

How to get the correct application form

To download the appropriate application form see our application forms page or apply online through the Planning Portal.

Application fees

For details of the appropriate fees, please see the Planning Portal.

Prior approval application forms

New application forms have been introduced for:

Full details of all the permitted development rights can be found on the Planning Portal website.

Application types

Full planning permission

This is appropriate where the principle of development is not likely to be in doubt and is the normal method of seeking permission for house extensions etc.

An outline application

Will establish whether a proposal is acceptable in principle before fully detailed drawings are prepared. An outline application is not appropriate if the development is for a change of use.

With an application for outline planning permission, detailed consideration will always be required on the use and the amount of development. Even if layout, scale and access are reserved, an application will still require a basic level of information on these issues in the application.

As a minimum, therefore, applications should always include information on:

Approval of reserved matters

An outline application must be followed by an application for the 'approval of reserved matters'. It should include the following details (unless these details have been provided as part of the outline approval):

Listed building consent

This must be obtained for any alterations, internal or external, which might affect the character or appearance of a building listed as being of special architectural or historic interest.

Conservation area consent

This must be obtained if it is proposed to demolish all or part of an unlisted building within a Conservation Area.

Advertisement consent

This is required to display the majority of external advertisements. This includes temporary signs such as estate agents boards, dependent on the number of boards.

Renewal of temporary permission

This must be made before the existing temporary permission expires.

Lawful development certificate

This procedure enables a planning authority to determine whether or not a development has become immune from enforcement action, or whether planning permission is required for an existing or proposed use or operation.

Non-material amendments to planning permission

New legislation came in on 1 October 2009 which legally allows the Council to approve non material changes to approved developments (SI 2009 no2261 T and C Planning (GDP) (Amendment no 3) (England) Order 2009. We previously used to call these minor amendments. 

What is a non material amendment?

Anything but the most insignificant change would need to be dealt with by the submission of a new planning application.

For example we could not accept amendments as non material if:

Key points of the new application procedure

What you should do if you are proposing a non material amendment

If you are proposing minor changes from the approved plans that you think could be considered as a non-material amendment, then you should contact the case officer who originally dealt with your application. He or she will be able to advise if the amendments can benefit from this procedure, or whether a new application will be required. There is no charge for this advice.

If you submit an application without any reference beforehand to officers, then we are obliged to register it and determine it. In that scenario you run the risk that the decision will be to refuse the application because it cannot be considered as a non-material amendment, even though it may be acceptable. You would then have to formally submit a fresh application.

The message therefore is to talk to us informally beforehand!

Detailed guidance is available from the Department of Communities and Local Government website.

Planning application forms

Information about the submitting 1APP planning applications.
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z