Skip to content
Commissioning and procurement   |  Jobs   |  Volunteering   |  Licensing   |  Business rates   |  Support for business
Contact Customer Services

Scrap metal dealer licence

Do it online

Scrap Metal Dealers Registration



Translate this page

To translate this page into another language you will need to copy and paste the URL address of this web page into Google Translate or Bing Translator.

Licence summary

To be a scrap metal dealer, you need to register with your local authority.

Eligibility Criteria

A scrap metal dealer shall be classed as carrying on a business in the local authority area if any of the following apply:

  • the dealer occupies a place as a scrap metal store in the area
  • the dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but has a usual place of residence in the area
  • the dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but occupies a place for business purposes
Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

Applicants must provide the following:

  • their full name
  • the address of the dealer, or in the case of a company, their registered or principal office
  • the address of each place occupied as a scrap metal store, if any
  • if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store
  • if the business is carried on without a scrap metal store but the applicant occupies a place for the purposes of business, and the address of such a place

The registered dealer must notify the local authority of any changes to these details or if they cease to be a scrap metal dealer.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Apply online


Apply for registration as a scrap metal dealer

Apply to change a scrap metal dealer registration

Tell us about a change to your existing registration as a scrap metal dealer (you will need to select the 'Apply for Licences' option).

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations

British Metals Recycling Association (BMRA)

International Aluminium Institute

International Lead Association

Metal Bulletin

A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z