Skip to content
Do It Online   |  Planning   |  Council tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and roads   |  Housing

We are currently updating our payment system. You may notice some changes in the forms that you use to pay for things like licences and your council tax. If you have any questions, please contact our customer services team.

Contact Customer Services

Leaflet - Landlord Accreditation Scheme

Kent Landlord Accreditation Scheme

A Kent wide scheme to recognise good Landlords and Agents

What is the Kent Landlords Accreditation Scheme (KLAS)?

A Kent wide scheme to recognise good landlords and agents who have the skills needed to run a successful rental business and provide good quality and safe accommodation.

Who can be accredited?

Any individual, partnership, company or agent whether you are a landlord, thinking of becoming a landlord or a letting or managing agent.

What skills do I need?

To be aware of the rules and regulations covering landlord and tenancy issues, health and safety, contracts and property management.

How do I become accredited?

By attending a one day development course, agreeing to follow a code of conduct and being a fit and proper person.

Is there a fee for accreditation?

No, but there is a charge for the development course.

What does a code of conduct require?

That you comply with the law and carry out urgent works promptly. If there is work that needs to be done, you must draw up a plan of action. Also, that you will not act in a manner that brings the Kent Landlord Accreditation Scheme into disrepute.

Who is a fit and proper person?

A person who has not committed any offences or had actions taken against them as detailed in the Housing Act. Convictions for harassment, discrimination and legal orders may disqualify an applicant.

What are the benefits* of being accredited?

How long does accreditation last?

Up to 5 years. You will be reaccredited after 5 years, provided you have complied with the code of conduct, continued to be a fit and proper person and taken steps to maintain your knowledge and keep up to date with changes by undertaking Continual Professional Development (CPD).

How can I gain continuous professional development (CPD)?

Most events which provide you with information will count towards your CPD, such as attending local landlord forums; undertaking additional training, seminars and membership of a landlords or agents organisation.

What about limited companies and partnerships?

For partnerships and limited companies, at least 2/3rds of all persons actively involved in the business will need to attend a development course. They will also have to agree to the code of conduct and be a fit and proper person.

Are there any additional requirements for accredited agents?

The agency must be able to show that they are a competent organisation, such as membership of a recognised professional body governed by a code of conduct.

Who runs the KLAS?

It is a partnership of Kent Council and private landlord organisations. It is currently administered by the London Borough of Camden on behalf of the partnership.

Where can I get additional information about the scheme?

For additional information and to register online visit Kent Landlord Accreditation Scheme.

Contact us:

Copies of this leaflet et are available on your council website. If you would like further information, please contact:

KLAS c/o London Borough of Camden,
Environmental Health Team,
Town Hall,
Argyle Street,
London WC1H 8EQ

Call: 020 7974 1970
Website: Kent Landlord Accreditation Scheme

Feedback form:
Was this information helpful?
Thanks for letting us know your views!
This feedback will be used to improve our online service. We cannot respond to specific requests.
It's good but
How can we make this section better?
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z