Skip to content
Do It Online   |  My Services   |  Planning   |  Council tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and roads   |  Housing

We're experiencing technical problems with our Council Tax phone line. If your enquiry is urgent, you can email, including your Council Tax reference number. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Information for Tenants


The following web pages include topics such as gas and electrical safety checks and the legislation about tenants deposit protection. It also covers the standards for rented properties to help to improve housing quality for rented homes in the Swale area. In addition, the requirement for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) to be licensed is explained, and information about rented property Energy Performance Certificates and the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

More Information:

Standards for rented property

If you are a tenant of a property and have problems with your standards of accommodation, or with getting repairs done then you should speak to an Environmental Health Officer within the Housing Enforcement Team. They will provide you with advice and can discuss the matter with your landlord and arrange for the relevant work to be done through negotiation or through enforcement action.

View further details about the role of the Housing Enforcement team.

Electrical and Gas Safety

So you have found your new rental property, but is it safe ...?

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

The Housing Act 2004 requires us to license certain types of Houses in Multiple Occupation.

Housing Health and Safety Rating System

Information on the housing health and safety rating system.

Illegal Eviction and Harassment

The Protection from Eviction Act 1977 deals with certain criminal offences against residential occupiers.
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z