Skip to content
Do It Online   |  My Services   |  Planning   |  Council tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and roads   |  Housing
Contact Planning Services



Provided you have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving a hedge dispute, you will be able to take your complaint about a neighbour's evergreen hedge to Swale Borough Council. Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003, gives local authorities powers to deal with complaints about high hedges. The Act came into operation in England on 1 June 2005.

Before you complain

Guidance can be read on how to settle your hedge differences, with some steps that you should consider trying before involving the Council:

The Council's role is to act as an independent and impartial adjudicator in those cases which people cannot settle for themselves. We cannot, therefore, negotiate or mediate between you and your neighbour. To contact the mediation service, please write to:

Swale Mediation Service
Phoenix House
Central House
Kent ME10 4BX

If you cannot agree a solution with your neighbour and you wish to discuss the situation before making a formal complaint, please contact our Customer Services Centre 01795 417850.

The Council can reject your complaint if we think you have not done everything that you reasonably could to negotiate a solution to your hedge problems. So if you don't follow the advice in the leaflet, you will need to explain why not.

Making a complaint

There will be a fee of £450 before any complaint can be taken forward. Cheques sent with an application form should be made payable to Swale Borough Council. Alternatively, you can pay online.

To make a complaint you need to download, complete and return the high hedges complaint form. In addition, you can also download the supporting notes.

Your completed application can be delivered in person or by post to:

Alternatively, you can email your completed application to

Misconceptions about the legislation put right

A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z