Skip to content
Commissioning and procurement   |  Jobs   |  Volunteering   |  Licensing   |  Business rates   |  Support for business

We are currently updating our payment system. You may notice some changes in the forms that you use to pay for things like licences and your council tax. If you have any questions, please contact our customer services team.

Contact the Licensing Team

Car boot sale authorisation

Car Boot Sale Authorisation

Part of the EUGO network

Translate this page

To translate this page into another language you will need to copy and paste the URL address of this web page into Google Translate or Bing Translator.

Licence summary

To hold a car boot sale you may need authorisation or a licence from Kent County Council for the area where the sale will be held.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in regulation

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

Applicants must give the district or borough council at least one month's notice of their intention to hold a car boot sale (or to permit their land to be used for a car boot sale), unless the proceeds of the car boot sale are to be applied solely or principally for charitable, social, sporting or political purposes.

Applications must be made in writing (including by electronic means) and include the applicant's name and address, where and when they desire to trade and the name and address of the occupier of that site, if he is not the applicant.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Kent County Council by the end of the target completion period


No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

Apply online

Apply for authorisation to hold a temporary market, occasional sale or car boot sale

Tell us about a change to your existing authorisation to hold a temporary market, occasional sale or car boot sale

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Kent County Council in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Kent County Council in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations


Feedback form:
Was this information helpful?
Thanks for letting us know your views!
This feedback will be used to improve our online service. We cannot respond to specific requests.
It's good but
How can we make this section better?
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z