Skip to content
Do It Online   |  My Services   |  Planning   |  Council tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and roads   |  Housing
Contact the Environmental Response Team

Animal licensing

Animal welfare

The council has duties under various pieces of legislation for the welfare of animals and are responsible for licensing riding establishments, pet shops, zoos, premises that board or breed animals as well as people who keep dangerous wild animals.

We aim to promote the well being of animals by ensuring that licensed premises comply with the conditions of their licence and by enforcing legislation designed to protect animals from harm.

This is carried out by officers of the Environmental Response Team. They regularly inspect licensed establishments and respond to complaints about premises where animals are kept. They also provide advice and guidance to businesses and members of the public about animal welfare.

Liaising closely with local veterinary practitioners who carry out inspections of the establishments prior to licences being issued.

Other information can be found on the RSPCA and Pet Care Trust websites.

For more information on licences, email our Customer Service Centre or call 01795 417850.

Fees and charges

View our Fees and Charges 2017-18 for all the cost of the below licences.

All animal boarding establishment licences and pet shop licences shall relate to the calendar year in which it is granted (or to the following year). These licences will expire at the end of the calendar year for which they were issued.

Licence - boarding animals

Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963, Section 1

The law on the boarding of animals as a business currently only relates to cats and dogs, not to any other type of pets. Anyone boarding cats or dogs for financial gain must be licensed by us.

We regularly inspect these licensed premises to ensure that the animals are cared for properly and the proprietors are fit to look after animals.

Licence - dog breeding

Breeding of Dogs Act 1973, as amended by the Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999

You must have a licence from the local authority to keep a breeding establishment for dogs.

Premises must be inspected by a local authority officer and a vet prior to the issuing of the licence.

If you breed dogs for commercial purposes you will require a licence issued by the Council.

A breeding establishment for dogs is defined as 'any premises which carries on a business of breeding dogs for sale'.

Licence - dangerous wild animals

Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976

Any person who wishes to keep a dangerous wild animal has to apply for a licence.

It is an offence to keep certain types of animals without a licence from the Council.

Licences cover the accommodation, welfare of the animal, fire precautions and spread of disease. Dangerous wild animal licences are not required by zoos, circuses, pet shops and places registered for animal experiments as other licensing requirements apply to these types of premises.

Licence - pet shop

Pet Animals Act 1951

The Council issues pet shop licences under the provisions of the Pet Animals Act 1951.

The licence can stipulate a number of conditions to secure the following objectives:

Licence - riding establishment

Riding Establishment Acts 1964 and 1970

The Council issues riding establishment licences under the provisions of the Riding Establishment Acts 1964 and 1970.

The term 'riding establishment' means the carrying on of a business of keeping horses to let them out on hire for riding, or for use in providing instruction in riding for payment, or both.

An annual inspection must be carried out with a qualified veterinary surgeon who establishes whether the horses used for hire are fit and healthy. The riding tack, health and safety and stables are also inspected.

Establishments currently licensed in Swale

Currently licensed cat/dog boarding establishments

Allpaws Boarding Cattery (cats only) 9 Howard Avenue, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 2NS 01795 472219 N/A N/A
Arbour Farm Cattery (cats only) Coldharbour Lane, Bobbing, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 8NN 01795 842292 Can submit online enquiry Arbour Farm Cattery website
Arcadian Cat Hotel (cats only) Oak Lane, Minster, Isle of Sheppey, Kent, ME12 3QR 01795 872583 N/A N/A
Butterstone Kennels and Cattery (cats and dogs) Hillside, Well Lane, Ospringe, Faversham, Kent, ME13 0SD 01795 530515 N/A N/A
Collards (dogs only) Bexon Lane, Bredgar, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 8HD 01795 830247 N/A N/A
Hope Farm Small Pet Boarding Scoones House, Chestnut Street, Borden, Sittingbourne, Kent ME9 8DE 07961 034504
Hope Farm Small Pet Boarding website
Jasmil Kennels and Cattery (cats and dogs) Breach Lane, Upchurch, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 7DA 08452 502350 Can submit online enquiry Jasmil Kennels website
Tawnyhill Kennels (dogs only) Homestall Road, Doddington, Nr. Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 0HF 01795 886046 Email Tawnyhill Kennels N/A
The Paddock (cats and dogs) Seed Road, Doddington, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 0NN 01795 886243 N/A N/A
Under 1 Woof (dogs only)
24 Princes Avenue, Minster ME12 2HJ 01795 871490 N/A N/A
Paws N Play Nursery 1 Primrose Way, Minster, Sheerness, Kent  ME12 3TR 01795 877377 Paws n Play Nursery website
Mrs. P. Hills 22 Eastwood Road, Sittingbourne, Kent  ME10 2NA 07989 285967 N/A N/A
Mrs. F. McMillan 48 Parsonage Chase, Minster, Sheerness, Kent ME12 3JX 07793 844661 N/A N/A
Debonair Dogs (dogs only) 68 Bull Lane, Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 7NA 07821298291 Email Debonair Dogs Debonair Dogs website
Mini Mutts Doggie Day and Holiday Care 83 Merleburgh Drive, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 2RW 01795 555308 N/A N/A
Waggy Tailz (dogs only) 12 Woodpecker Drive, Iwade, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 8ST N/A N/A N/A
Pals With Tails Laura Blogg (dogs only) 10 Chaucer Road, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 1EZ 07525 780764 N/A Pals With Tails' website
Paw Patrol, Judi Lenton (dogs only) 19 Aspen Way, Minster on sea, Sheerness, Kent, ME12 3FN 07951491534 N/A N/A
Cally Wags Toni Farr (dogs only) 1 Oad Street, Borden, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME8 8LD 07505009868 N/A CallyWags' website
Barking Town Traditional Dog Groomers 74 High Street, Milton Regis, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 2AN 01795427293 N/A Barking Town Groomers' website
Under 1 Woof 24 Princes Avenue, Minster on sea, Kent, ME12 2HJ 01795 871490 N/A N/A

Currently licensed dog breeding establishments

Tawnyhill Kennels Homestall Road, Doddington, Nr. Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 0HF 01795 886046 Email Tawnyhill Kennels Tawnyhill Kennels website

Currently licensed pet shops

Name Address CallEmail Website
Clarendon Koi Sittingbourne, Kent 01795 439084 N/A N/A
Cuddles ‘n’ Bubbles 21 Broadway, Sheerness, Kent ME12 1AB 01795 669931 N/A N/A
Little Fish Shop r/o 42 London Road, Teynham, Sittingbourne, Kent  ME9 9QN 01795 520023 Email Little Fish Shop Little Fish Shop website
Lost World Reptiles r/o 42 London Road, Teynham, Sittingbourne, Kent  ME9 9QN 01795 520077 Email Lost World Reptiles Lost World Reptiles website
Pets at Home Ltd Unit D, Phase 3, Sittingbourne Retail Park, Sittingbourne, Kent 08003 284204 Can submit online enquiry Pets at Home website
Sheppey Aquatics and Pet Supplies 2-4 Rose Street, Sheerness, Kent, ME12 1AJ 01795 663294 N/A N/A
The Pet Shop 36 High Street, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 4PB 01795 422430 Email The Pet Shop The Pet Shop website
UK Clownfish Unit B2 Smeed Dean Centre, Eurolink Industrial Estate, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME10 3EW      

Currently licensed riding establishments

Callum Park Callum Park, Basser Hill, Lower Halstow, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 7TY 01795 844258 Email Callum Park
Callum Park website
Borden Riding School The Nook, Maidstone Road, Borden, Sittingbourne, Kent ME9 7PU 07976 779647 N/A N/A
Danley Farm Power Station Road, Sheerness, Kent, ME12 3AD N/A N/A N/A
Deepdene Badlesmere, Faversham, Kent, ME13 0NZ 01233 740228 N/A N/A
Elm Lane Stables Elm Lane, Minster, Sheerness, Kent      
Seafields Riding School First Avenue, Eastchurch, Sheerness, Kent  ME12 4JB      
Whiteleaf Riding Stables Lower Road, Teynham, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 9LR 01795 522122 Can submit online enquiry Whiteleaf Riding Stables website

Mrs. F. McMillan

Feedback form:
Was this information helpful?
Thanks for letting us know your views!
This feedback will be used to improve our online service. We cannot respond to specific requests.
It's good but
How can we make this section better?
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z