Skip to content
Do It Online   |  My Services   |  Planning   |  Council tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and roads   |  Housing
Contact the Housing Services Team

Licence - Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

Housing news

From 1 October 2018, Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licensing is changing. For more information, you can read our news article about the changes.

Register of licensed HMOs

The Housing Act 2004 requires every local authority to establish and maintain a public register of HMO licensed under the act.

For the current register, please download:

New licence applications will not appear on our register until they have been processed and issued by us.

You can download the licensing conditions for House in Multiple Occupation (PDF 86kb).

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

A house in multiple occupation is by legal definition one of the following:



The landlord or managing agents of these properties are now legally required to hold a licence.

If the owner or person acting on his/her behalf does not apply for a licence they are committing a criminal offence and may result in prosecution and a large fine. In addition, rents paid on an unlicensed property may be recoverable via the Residential Property Tribunal under certain circumstances.

Applying for a licence

The types of HMO that require a licence are any properties that are occupied by five or more people (including children) and comprise of two or more households.

The current fee for the licence has been set at £638 per licensable HMO, there is a discount for Accredited Landlords. It's expected that a licence will be granted within three months following a completed application to the Council.

Licences granted may last for up to five years.

Applications can be made online by going to our house in multiple occupation licence page.  

A full breakdown of fees can be found on the councils fees and charges page

For further information on Houses in Multiple Occupancy and licensing you can contact our Housing Team or visit the Ministry fo r Housing, Communities and Local Government on GOV.UK.

A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z