Taxi Licensing and Fares
Hackney Carriage and Private Hire cars, their drivers and operators must all be individually licensed to operate. Licences are issued by Swale Borough Council and there are a number of conditions which must be met before a licence can be issued.
Taxis or Hackney Carriage as they are formally called can operate from taxi ranks or can be hailed directly. Private hire cars, however, can only carry fare-paying passengers when journeys are pre-booked through an operating centre. Fares are not controlled and must be agreed between the hirer and the firm.
Legal Regulations - Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles are regulated under Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 and Town Police Clauses Act 1847.
Applying for your Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers Licence
Before granting a licence, the Hackney Carriage Inspector must be satisfied that the applicant is a fit and proper person to hold a licence. Below is a list of the procedures that are required, before a licence can be approved.
- if you have more than 6 points on your DVLA Driving Licence, you can not apply for a Hackney Licence until the points have cleared
- an Application form and Disclosure and Barring Service form (formally known as Criminal Record Bureau) and invoice for £44.00 can be obtained at Swale House, Sittingbourne, The Gateway, Sheerness, or you can ring 01795 417092 for the forms to be sent to you
- the applicant must ring us to make an appointment with the Hackney Carriage team, 01795 417092 Monday - Thursday 9.00am to 11.30am to bring in the completed Application form, Disclosure and Barring Service form, DVLA Driving Licence (card and paper licence) showing your current address, Passport, Birth Certificate or Marriage Licence, Invoice and receipt
- medical forms are given to you at your appointment, which you can take to your own doctor or a surgery of your choice. Prices vary from £30.00 - £110.00
- also at the appointment we will give you the syllabus for the area you are going to drive in, and a copy of the Local Conditions which you need to learn for the Knowledge Test. The Knowledge Tests are held at Swale House. The test takes one and half hours and starts at 9.30am. You may bring an A-Z with you. The tests are held subject to room availability
- a Driving Standards Private Hire/Hackney Carriage Assessment is also required. These tests are carried out at Gillingham, Canterbury, Maidstone, Herne Bay and Ashford. Cost during normal working hours £78.00 Saturdays or Evenings £94.00. View the registered taxi driver assessment instructors in Swale on our Document Library
- once all the criteria has been completed and subject to your Disclosure and Barring Service being clear, ring us to make an appointment to collect your Badge which will cost £50 for one year or £120.00 for three years. You must also bring with you the Medical forms and Test Certificate for the Driving Standards test, two identical passport photos. The photos must show you facing forward and looking straight towards the camera with a neutral expression taken within the last month. The photo must be professionally printed and not printed at home. Passport booths are acceptable. The photo must not have any writing on the front or back
- please note we are unable to see you without an appointment.
Fees and payments for 2012/2013
View the fees and payments for 2012/2013 in Swale on our Document Library
How we collect and use information
We will use the information you have given to process your Hackney Carriage Licence.
By law, we may check the information you have provided against other information we already have to make sure the information is accurate. This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.
We will not give information about you to anyone else, or use information about you for other purposes, unless the law allows us to.
Swale Borough Council is the data controller for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998. If you want to know more about what information we have about you, or the way we use that information, you can ask for the Data Protection Officer of Swale Borough Council.
Contact us and complaints
Call: 01795 417092
Hackney Carriage Inspector,
Swale Borough Council,
Kent ME10 3HT
- Monday - Thursday 8.45am - 5.00pm
- Fridays 8.45am - 4.30pm
Complaints about taxi drivers
If you have any complaints regarding a vehicle or driver, please contact us on 01795 417092 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Private Hire - Hackney Carriage Assessment from the DVLA. (Download PDF 999kb)
Required local conditions for Taxi's to comply to.