Skip to content
Do It Online   |  Planning   |  Council Tax   |  Bins and Recycling   |  Parking and Roads   |  Housing
Contact Customer Services

Land Charges - Frequently Asked Questions

Land Charges - Frequently Asked Questions

This page provides answers to a number of frequently asked questions relating to Land Charges.

Who carries out a Local Search?

Search requests have historically been received from a Licensed Conveyancer or Solicitor acting for a purchaser of a property but anyone can make a search by paying the relevant fee and submitting the completed official forms.

What forms do I need to submit?

There are three different types of forms:

  1. Form LLC1 - (for search of the register “ official certificate of search).
  2. Form Con29R - for 'required' enquiries of the local authority
  3. Form Con29O - for 'optional' enquiries of the local authority

A standard search was previously the LLC1 and Con29R form combined. However now you can submit any of these forms separately.

How much does a search cost?

The full list of Land Charge fees for Residential and Commercial /Non-Domestic property are available here.

Can I ask a question that is not included on any of the forms?

'Additional' questions can be requested at a cost of £21.00. We will endeavour to supply a reply but may not always hold the required information.

Do you need plans?

Yes, we require two copies of an up to date Ordnance Survey plan showing the full extent of the property to be searched against, clearly edged in red. Please note the search results will not include neighbouring properties and will be specific to the area outlined on your plan.

Who should I make my cheque payable to?

Cheques should be made payable to:- Swale Borough Council

Are you on the DX system?

Yes “ DX 59900 “ Sittingbourne II

Searches will be returned via DX if requested or by first class mail.

How long will my search take?

We will endeavour to return all standard searches within 5 working days. However in the absence of staff due to sickness or holidays this may not always be possible. However it is anticipated that ALL searches will be returned within ten working days. If a search is urgently required you can contact us and we will do our best to return it to you as quickly as possible.

What is a Personal Search?

A personal search is a search of the register only carried out in person by booking an appointment with the Land Charges Section. At Swale Council the searcher i.e. Member of Public or Personal Search Agent, is provided with a print-out of the register contents from which they can make their own notes. None of the information required to complete Con29 questions is supplied

However since the 6th April the personal searcher is able to access the data required to complete a full search.

The Information Availability List shows whether or not information is publicly available and in either case how to access it.

If the information is required at the same time as the personal search we would request at least four days notice in order that the requested information can be collated. We also require confirmation that the searcher is willing to pay any relevant fees.

Can I submit my search application online?

Yes but at the present time only through the NLIS website “

What is NLIS?

The National Land Information Service (NLIS) is a government initiative aimed at delivering services electronically and has been designed to provide one-stop access to all land and property information. We encourage our customers to become NLIS users.

View the National Land Information Service website.

Can I submit one search application for more than one property?

A separate requisition for search should be made in respect of each parcel of land for which a search is required. Except where, for the purpose of a single transaction, a certificate is required in respect of two or more parcels of land which have a common boundary or are separated only by a road, railway, river, stream or canal, in which case all the property addresses can be included in the one transaction. The fee is then calculated at the standard search fee for the first property, plus an additional parcel fee (See fee table) for each additional parcel.

Who do I contact for drainage enquiries?

Some information is held by the Land Charges Section and would be shown in the Land Charges Register but for a complete response you are advised to contact the land search team at Southern Water

Telephone: 0845 270 0212

Or email

Can the Land Charges Section tell me who is the registered owner of land?

No, we do not hold this information. These details can be obtained by contacting:

Tunbridge Wells District Land Registry, Forest Court, Forest Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 5AQ. Telephone: 01892 510015

Feedback form:
Was this information helpful?
Thanks for letting us know your views!
This feedback will be used to improve our online service. We cannot respond to specific requests.
It's good but
How can we make this section better?
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z