Skip to content
Do It Online   |  Planning   |  Council Tax   |  Bins and recycling   |  Parking and Roads   |  Housing
Contact Council Tax

Exemptions and Discounts

Do it online

Empty property review

In support of the government's initiative to tackle the shortfall in national housing, we are currently undertaking a review of empty Council Tax properties.

If you have received a letter providing you with a pass code and property reference number, please update the records for the property by filling in the online empty homes review form.

Exempt Properties

Some properties are exempt from the payment of Council Tax. Details are shown on the leaflet that is available online when your Council Tax bill is issued, copies are also obtainable on request from the Council Tax section. Please Contact the Council's Officers at the address provided if you think your property might qualify for exemption.

Full description of Council Tax Exemptions


The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults residing in a property. If only one adult over the age of 18 lives in a property, Council Tax may be reduced by 25% on application. Please note that if a person is temporarily absent from address they are still counted as resident in the property. The following are not counted when considering the number of residents in a property: Students, apprentices, the severely mentally impaired, care workers and others. For further details contact one of the Council's officers at the address provided.

People with Disabilities

If you, or someone who lives with you, need an extra room (which could include an extra bathroom or kitchen) or extra space for a wheelchair, your bill may be reduced to that of a lower band property. As from 1 April 2000, this reduction now applies to band A properties, which will be reduced to 5/9ths of the equivalent band D charge. If you wish to apply, contact the Council at the address provided.

Applying for a Discount

Discounts for any of the circumstances listed above can be applied for through the Council Tax offices or you can contact Council Tax.

Council Tax Support (previously council tax benefit)

From 1 April 2013 Council Tax Benefit will be replaced by a new localised scheme called Council Tax Support. View more information on Council Tax Support.

If you are in receipt of Income Support or Job seekers Allowance or are on a low income you may be entitled to Council Tax Benefit. If you already receive Council Tax Benefit and require more details please contact the Council's Benefit offices at the address provided.

Full Council Tax exemptions

Find out about Council Tax exemptions in more detail.

Single person discount review

A 25% discount, worth a minimum of £236 a year, is given to anyone who claims to be living in a property on their own.
Feedback form:
Was this information helpful?
Thanks for letting us know your views!
This feedback will be used to improve our online service. We cannot respond to specific requests.
It's good but
How can we make this section better?
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z